Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

August Wrap-up

Let me start by apologizing for not writing more this month, but its August in Texas and I think the heat effects my brain. I volunteered at the Breast Cancer Resource Center golf tournament, Suzy's Soldiers. It was a lot of fun. The girls and I worked the bar between the 9th and 10th hold. Being my first golf tournament I had no idea that the players would start drinking at 9am; but they were very nice and tipped very generously. Our bar raised the most money; maybe the tequila had something to do with that but I think it was because we were so damn cute. That night Cody and I went to the gala at Barton Creek Country Club after the tournament. It was the first time we have been back since our wedding, and we are happy to report it is still a beautiful place. The silent auction had some really cool sports memorabilia.





Yao Ming's shoe, size 18 or the size of my femur.







Ricky Williams football shoes.  





On August 23rd I had my six week follow-up with Dr. Chang. He said I am healing very well and gave me permission to exercise. I’m even allowed to ride my mountain bike, as long as I “don’t fall forward.” Not sure how to accomplish this so I’ll probably stay off the trails. It would suck to pop one of my expanders. My exchange surgery is scheduled for November 9th. Dr. Chang is also a bike rider, so he understood when I asked to wait for surgery until after the Wurstride. The most gratifying thing about the entire visit was leaving, knowing that we do not have to be back until October 25th for my first post treatment follow-up with Dr. Gonzales.




Cody and I at the start of the 2009 Wurstride.







Cody, me, Tim, and Amy at the end of the 2009 Wurstride.





Now I’m concentrating on getting back to my life. I am actively looking for a job, and have managed to land two interviews. Hopefully by the end of September the heat will have subsided, life will be back to normal, and we will keep moving on.

My new hairdo.  Cody dyed it blond, and after two weeks it is almost twice this length.  No sign of curls, but I now look like a Chia Pet.

No comments: