Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Long Week

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted. Monday (April 19th) we found out that my ANC (Absolute Neutrophil Count) was too low to receive chemotherapy. The count should be at least 1.0 and mine was 0.88 (normal is 1.7). The ANC is a clue to how hard the chemo has hit the bone marrow, and when it is low it means you are at a greater risk of infection. They can't give more chemo because it will cause your bone marrow to stop producing white blood cells again, causing all sorts of fun side effects. Cody and I decided to stay another night in Houston and try again on Tuesday, hoping my body will make more white blood cells during the night. Surprise it did! My count was 0.98 Tuesday morning, close enough that they could go ahead and treat. So I received the same FEC treatment, but this time I was not as prepared mentality - secretly hoping that my counts would be too low and I would get another week of feeling good. Mom came over from Houston and stayed with Cody and me for two days in Austin while I started feeling better, it was a HUGE help to have her around. On Wednesday Cody had to give me a shot of Neulasta to force my bone marrow to make new white blood cells, so that I will not have low counts again and my treatment can continue on schedule. The shot was little, but I HATE SHOTS!! He had to give it to me in my stomach, and it was awful. It didn’t hurt but I still get nauseated thinking about it. I recovered from this round on FEC much more quickly that the last time. I’m not exactly sure why but maybe knowing that I would feel better soon, and all the unfounded dire predictions about how crappy I would feel, made the difference. Thursday Mom took me to try on bras for the Graphics Art Bra show in May. It was fun trying on the different styles and designs, and seeing all of the wonderful creations that people submitted. I’m excited for the show! I feel great again, and am keeping up my exercise routine. I think the exercise helps to minimize the effects of the chemotherapy. It is also a good way for me to get out of the house and out of isolation. Now I’m off to walk and maybe get some flowers for our front porch.

Here is a picture of our springtime backyard that we completed this weekend.  Now if it will only gradually heat up this year...maybe we can keep our flowers through June :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see you got your petunias into the brackets on the fence -- looking good!

Mama