Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Friday, July 9, 2010

Frustrating Day at the Hospital

Wednesday was my last day of appointments before having surgery on Tuesday July 13th. It also was one of the most frustrating days that Cody and I have had at the hospital in a long time. The doctors were running really late, their staff members were disorganized, and everything that could get messed up did. Dr. Chang, my reconstructive surgeon, got a new crop of interns and fellows last week; so Cheryl, his P.A., was busy dealing with their issues. When they finally got around to seeing me, an hour and a half late, they took two pictures and we saw Dr. Chang for about 30 seconds. It was crazy! Since they were running so late I confirmed with Dr. Bedrosian’s office that it was okay if I went and had my EKG and blood drawn before my appointment with her. Down at the testing center they moved everything around, took more seats out of the waiting area to accommodate their “new” check-in system, and in the process increased waiting times. My EKG test was fine. The tech said that unless she picks up the phone and calls the cardiologist that the exam was okay. She told me that people come to see her and are so excited about going home, catching a plane in a few hours, and she has to call the cardiologist. The patient has to go to emergency surgery and doesn’t get to go home as planned. She hates telling people they are not free to continue on with their lives as planned. This appointment was the first time since I had my port installed that I did not have it accessed and used for my blood draw. I was really nervous about getting my blood drawn the conventional way. Surprise the build up was worse than the actual blood draw – it did not bother me at all. I guess I’m getting used to the idea of being stuck with needles. A good phlebotomist didn’t hurt either. While in the waiting room we noticed an inordinate amount of people in wheelchairs and walkers. There were traffic jams because of the number of wheelchairs! Back upstairs we went for my appointment with Dr. Bedrosian. Mainly we meet with her P.A., Erin, who went on maternity leave yesterday. I guess I’ll meet the new P.A. right before surgery…
Mom came and picked us up and we went to lunch at this great Vietnamese place in midtown. I’m so glad that I didn’t give up my lunch because we were running a little late. My next appointment was the dreaded anesthesia assessment. These people never run on-time, and we have not decided what their purpose actually is in the process. I never saw a nurse or doctor, just a technician that gave me a page and a half of instructions; and confirmed that everything I filled out on the paperwork an hour before was correct. This is such a waste of time and an example of the inefficiencies inherent in the system. No wonder health care is so expensive!

I did sign up for one more clinical trial. This trial is studying the results of standard general anesthesia versus general anesthesia and a paravertebral block. I was randomized to the study group. What are the chances that in both random studies I get randomized to the study group? Oh well. The combo is supposed to decrease pain and downtime after surgery. And the drugs are all FDA approved and have been used in this way before, they are just now getting around to doing the clinical trial. I agreed to participate in another clinical trial, but the pre-trial pregnancy test became too difficult to complete. In order to participate in the trial concerning the anesthesia I had to have a blood pregnancy test. That test revealed that I’m menopausal, so they needed to confirm the results via a urine test; but the neglected to tell me this until the next morning. Sorry I’m on my way home to Austin, and not coming back to Houston until late Monday night. Oh well. When all this is over I have been, or am continuing to be, part of at least four clinical trials; five if you count the study they did on my placenta when I was born. I have done my part for science.

Tuesday July 13th is my surgery date. They are doing a double mastectomy with immediate reconstructive surgery. This surgery is considered day surgery by MD Anderson and I will not be admitted to the hospital. After surgery they will hold me in a holding area, make sure that I recover from the anesthesia, and send me home. Cody and I will then go to Carolyn and Reagan’s in northwest Houston. Depending how I feel we will leave the next morning for Austin and be home Thursday. Dad, and maybe Diane, is coming down from Dallas to help out until my first doctor appointment. Depending on how I’m feeling, mom may come down to help out the next week, or we may only need our support group in Austin to help out.

Cody and I have started a Care Calendar to let people know what we assistance we might need following surgery. Right now the calendar is pretty sparse as we wait to see exactly how I am feeling. If you want to be part of the calendar, please let me know. I can send you the log in information and you can sign up to fulfill needs. The calendar will more than likely change next week as we get a better idea of exactly what is going to happen.

Thank you everyone for helping out. We appreciate all of your comments, suggestions, ears…everything that you have done to help make this journey easier.

No comments: