Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Monday, February 1, 2010

Scars and Germs - EEWWW!

Okay my rash is starting to get out of hand. I think it might be the steroids, but it is really annoying to have the soul of a teenage boy living in your skin - eww. Cody is worried, even though all of the literature says that the steroids combined with the chemotherapy can give you an acne like rash; so we are going to meet with Silvia today and find out if I need to see Dr. Gonzales. In my opinion I don't need to see her; but hey what do I know, I'm only the patient. The rash is annoying. It looks terrible so I have to cover my head. It is causing me to not sleep because I don't want to turn over wrong on my pillow, have one of the pus bubbles explode, and then get some sort of infection that leads to a scar. I scar really easily and scars have been my greatest fear since starting all of this, well that and infection from an outside source. I still have a very visible scar on my ankle from jumping a fence and landing on a Coke bottle at three. Dad did a nice job stitching me up, but the scar is still there 30 years later. So possibly having a scar on my face or neck from this rash is a possibility. It would be worse if I got an infection since my immune system is started to become more and more compromised on a weekly basis. Each week I wonder if this is my last week that I can comfortably go out in public without wearing some stupid mask. This weekend it was scary to be at the grocery store with kids running by me. What kind of germs are they spreading around? Which one of them has parents who don't believe in immunizations, which is another topic for another day, and are carrying some sort of deadly virus? Just thinking about it is enough to make me not want to leave the house! That and the ridiculously cold weather. Cody and I are off to MDA this morning, then home to Austin this evening after my chemo. I'll post some more pictures later this week. We are world travelers, not really world travelers, but we could probably find our way to the medical center in Houston blind folded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It took two 250 pound nurses to hold Rachel down when Shelton stitched her up. Talk about screaming! I'm sure the Archer City Hospital was never the same.