Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Friday, February 26, 2010

Mastectomy Study

My surgeon, Dr. Bedrosian, authored a study that was published yesterday afternoon (in The Journal of the National Cancer Institute) proving that women like me who have a double mastectomy improve their life expectancy.  Here is the article from the Houston Chronicle, Study: Preventive mastectomy doesn’t benefit most.  Of course the Chronicle would focus on the fact that the study shows a double mastectomy does not improve life expectancy in women over the age of 60; but for a subset - ME!!! - it does improve life expectancy.  Scroll to the bottom of the article and you can see a quote from me.  I've decided to have a double mastectomy because of how long I'm going to live, 40+ years versus another 10, and I do not want to go through this again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice article -- my paper is still in the front yard. When did they contact you for a quote? How did the reporter find you? I'd be interested to know.

Your Mama

Carol Gaines said...

Hello, Rachel. Every good to you as you move through this experience. I spoke with Your Mama this morning. It has been my personal and professional delight to know Sarah in our work at Harris County. Please know of my prayers to God for your needs. I am confident that He knows, cares,and is able to meet your needs; after all, He knew you before Sarah held you.
Caring,
Carol Gaines

BTW, last Sunday at worship in Fort Worth, I saw a radiant blonde, happily
planning to go to lunch with her family. She had a double mastectomy two years ago. Your subset is crowded.