Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Triathlon Training

There are only 46 days, 43 training days, left until the triathlon on April 11th and I am in terrible shape.  I was only able to run for 10 minutes on the treadmill today, at a pace of 10.43 miles/minute.  That is horrible!!  At this pace I'm going to have to drop out of the race, or quit while doing the race, and I've NEVER quit a race.  The only race I've ever signed up for and not started was due to a fever, and the fact that I had a more important race the next week and wanted to save my strength for that race.  I'm going to have to train a lot harder if I want to finish with any type of respectable time.  Silvia gave me a lecture yesterday about not allowing myself to quit, but why would I do that?  Quitting is not part of my vocabulary.  Even though I did try to drop out of the Couples Tri last year when it was 90+ degrees at 9 am, I ended up finishing because I couldn't figure out how to drop out.  Cody did have a good point I did receive chemo less than 24 hours ago, and that might have something to do with my crappy performance.  Never the less I am determined to do finish.  I just need to work on strengthening exercises at the start of the week and move onto endurance training as the week progresses and the chemo makes its way out of my system.

We got about an inch today, the first snow we have had all year. 














Our front yard was cool enough for the snow to stick, it should be gone this evening before the temp drops below freezing.

1 comment:

Malissa said...

Make sure to take it easy, but don't quit and even if you have to walk the running part of the triathlon or dog paddle the swim or coast while biking you can do it and it doesn't matter how fast you finish or in what place it matters to you that you finish! You can do this, realize you aren't the same person right now (physically), push your self, but don't hurt yourself....I am so proud of you and admire your determination and strength! We are all so amazed by you and we are proud of you whether your are first, middle of the pack, or last!!!!!!!!