Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Saturday, March 6, 2010

NO More!

"No you can not start an IV to inject me with contrast dye."  It is nine o'clock at night on a Friday at MD Anderson and I've just been called back for an MRI...really it is late at night, the hospital schedules MRI's until eleven.  I have had it. I want to go home. I miss Cody and Ophelia.  I’m tired, I’m cranky, they can’t access my port…I am done.  The nurses in the MRI area are not aware that the infusion area, where I can get my port accessed, is closed.  They sent me up to the eighth floor to get my port accessed; the eighth floor was dark and completely empty, except for the guard sitting in the stem cell transplant waiting area talking on the phone.  Why did I go through surgery to get a stupid port if none one can access it?  This is the last straw and I am out of here.  This MRI is not an emergency, and if they want to do one then the hospital can damn well schedule me when they can access my port!  I’m sick and tired of being stuck, prodded, poked, poisoned, and generally humiliated. I’m sick of filling out the same freaking paperwork each time I check-in for a new appointment – is it so hard to share information in the same hospital?  I’m really, really, really getting sick and tired of being at the hospital.  Cody and I know every shortcut, every elevator, every floor (except for the seventh which is reserved for Genitourinary Cancer) of the Mays clinic; and we know the twists, turns, and hidden waiting areas of the main hospital.  We know that the walk between the Mays clinic and the main building takes twenty minutes on the sky bridge, and if you can’t walk they will shuttle you in a golf cart.  My research nurse, Julia, said that the last few weeks of taxol are when patients get really sick of the hospital.  Well I have finally reached my limit.  I need a vacation.  If I didn’t know that I would have to start all of this over from the beginning I would just stay home.  Unfortunately I can’t stay home, but I don’t have to have an MRI tonight.  The MRI can wait until I’m back in Houston for my next chemo treatment, and when someone is around to access my port.  Up until this moment I’ve been good and let them do whatever the hell they want to me.  I’ve shown up for all of my appointments on-time, never complaining that they are redundant or that I don’t want a particular test.  Now I’m done.  If they want me to do more crappy tests then they are going to do them on my terms.  Everyone has one little thing that causes them to rebel, their proverbial nut to crack, and I guess mine is the idea of being stuck with one more needle.  Small wonder since I hate needles so much I made it the title of my blog.  Monday I go back to MD Anderson for my tenth taxol treatment, only two left.  We only have three more weeks in a row that we have to be in Houston every Sunday, then at MD Anderson every Monday.  Once April begins I only have four more chemotherapy treatments, but these are every three weeks – yeah!  The drugs they will give me are much harder on my body, but I get to be home more than five days out of the week.  The tunnel is still really long and dark, but there is a flash of light in the distance.

2 comments:

Dad and Diane said...

Rachel,

Your point is valid and I am sure that the staff doesn't want to stick you either. Just wait and get your doctor to reschedule the MRI at a time when they don't have to stick you again. I promise you that they are all on your side and this is a glitch. Think about it. Nurses wouldn't be where they are if they didn't care. The definition of a nurse is someone who CARES for others.
Stick in there just a while longer and then it will slow down. From what I hear, you are responding well and nave every reason to be happy and thankful about your treatment. Be patient and your doctors will work it out for you if you ask them.
Di and I are here if you need anything, even just to talk about stuff like this. I believe that you are a very lucky patient for many reasons. Hang in there, and don't be reluctant to ask for assistance. You are the priority in my life, my very favorite daughter. I am proud of you and am awed by your stamina and am so happy you share my optomism.
If you want me(or us) to come spend a week with you and cook and do housework, I(we) can and will do it. I have a few nursing skills as well!
We love you very much...Dad&Di

Malissa said...

I have typed and erased so many times now looking for the words to say and they all sound condescending and ridiculous...I just want you to know that I am so proud of you (even when you are griping, lol) I can not imagine everything that you are going through, but you are SO strong! I am glad that you post on here, even about your bad days. I just wish that I could do something to help! You have awesome support let people come to you and care for you...I know it must feel like it, but you are not alone. Even if I am not close I am thinking of you often and praying for both you and Cody! Take your dad up on the offer, make him clean the cat box (I love you Uncle Shelton, now go clean the house!), LOL!
Thinking of you always and if you ever have the desire to come visit we will have a room waiting for you guys!!!