Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Monday, January 18, 2010

Breast Cancer Cult

The approach that I have taken to my cancer is the intellectual approach. Find out as much as you can about what you are facing, face it, and move on; a simple yet difficult creed for some to follow. Most of the women that I have met are happy to be part of the "Breast Cancer Cult." They are responding to their problem by getting mad and emotional, like cancer specifically targeted them. Getting breast cancer makes them automatically part of the cult and a card carrying member of the sorority that a few get to join. Ok, fine, but that is not me. I can tolerate you; please don't count me in as one of your followers, a member of your cult. This is mine to face and I will deal with it as I see fit. Just because I don't subscribe to that stuff doesn't make it any less real. Like my uncle Jim says, “I have to filter their stories and find my own.” Great advise. The number of women who have told me that they had a mastectomy because of the chance that they might get breast cancer is disturbing (80% if they have the gene). I see it as a cry for attention - "Hey, look at me, I have the breast cancer gene so I chopped of my boobs!" If I had known that I would get cancer, I still would have done nothing differently. We are all dealt our hand out of the same deck of cards, life. Chopping off boobies because you might get cancer seems a little extreme. Who decided that boobs are what makes a woman anyway? I guess because I didn't have a Barbie doll for a mother I don't see myself tied up in images; or maybe I've already dealt with my image problems. Never the less, what is it like to live in fear of your own body?
Cody and I are in Houston and I'm staying until next Monday - thank you Carolyn and Reagan. Tomorrow I have my third round of chemotherapy and on Wednesday I'm getting my port - yeah no more digging in my veins. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to post but will as soon as I can. We are taking pictures so I'll upload those as well.

1 comment:

Mike Elliott said...

Your positive outlook is inspiring.