Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Friday, January 29, 2010

Routine

I'm not sure what to write about today. Cody and I are starting to settle into routine that passes for normal. We head to Houston and his parents house on Sunday afternoons, spend the night, then head down to MD Anderson Monday morning where I get my blood drawn, wait a couple of hours, then get chemotherapy. After my treatment Cody drives us home to Austin while I sleep. I have not had too many side effects from the chemo so the ride home has been uneventful, except for a couple of times that I got nauseated from the traffic. Stop and go traffic is not to kind to the tummy but I have anti-nausea pills that really work. During the week while Cody is at work I plan our meals, grocery shop, do laundry, and work out. It is normal. Monday I have my 5th treatment, almost halfway done with the Paciltaxel, and as the drug builds up I'm starting to have more side effects or allergic reactions to the drug. Like I've said before, I'm loosing my hair; but I have so much freaking hair that it is taking a long time to all fall out and what is left keeps growing - go figure. I also have to keep shaving my legs which is a bummer. My skin is supper sensitive and I'm breaking out in a rash on my head, chest and back area. My head itches. It really itches. I never thought my head could be this itchy. I am allowed to take Benadryl which helps with the rash, and has stopped it from spreading anymore. I'm going to stop washing my head with shampoo, not sure why I'm still doing this anyway, and start washing my head with the soap I use on my face. Maybe I'll get really crazy and use the same moisturizer on my head, or just use Eucerin body lotion.
Today it is raining and freezing so I'm not going to be able to get outside an exercise, but I can use our treadmill if I feel like working out. Wednesday I took my first exercise class since I've been diagnosed and I'm still a little sore from doing all of those lunges. WOW I feel out of shape!! I'm so glad that the triathlon is in April. It gives me time to get ready. I'm also paranoid about doing too much and loosening the stitches on my port causing it to flip or get dislodged. So I have to wait until February 10th to ride my bike or put any weight on my right side. Ridiculous. Not overdoing it is the hardest part about all of this. I want to get out and do stuff but have to wait. The hardest part of all of this is waiting.

No comments: