Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lost Hair

We all knew that this day was coming, the day that I would wake up and there would be a bunch of hair on my pillowcase; the day that hair started to fall out. Well today is that day. I thought I was prepared, no big deal, what's a little hair? So I got a buzz cut. I went to a salon down their street from Carolyn and Reagan's house and they did it for free. On my walk back to the house I got called a dike - nice...some men are such jerks. It will grow back. Yes it will grow back, but is depressing and sad none the less. It is not so much losing the hair that makes me sad, but the realization that I'm sick. Healthy people don't loose their hair in clumps; they don't touch their head then have a hand full of hair. Hair is an accessory and I feel like I've lost my favorite pair of earrings, or left my wedding rings at my in-laws house. I do need to start wearing makeup though, I'm starting to look like I should beat up men and get free drinks at clubs in Montrose. Now that I have my port and am losing my hair my transformation from a normal, healthy, 33 year-old to cancer patient is complete. Now to transform back!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I get called a dyke all the time. LOL! You are beautiful & there are way too many stupid people in the world. Obviously he was stupid, a smart person would have smiled and told you to have a nice day.
Take a deep breath and re-gain control of the situation. You deserve the opportunity to be a patient. However, you can be in control. Sure, you were loosing your hair. You decided to loose it all on your terms. Get some really cool scarves & hats! Most dykes I know don't wear those in public anyway. Especially the ones with flowers or bright colors... LOL!
Hang in there! Love ya!