Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Last Chemo Appointment

Monday was my last chemotherapy appointment. I did not receive chemo, but it was the last day of my last cycle and time to see the doctor. Mom took the day off and met Cody and me at the hospital. She was there to keep Cody company since I had a day full of testing ahead. First up, the obligatory blood test, every time I go to the doctor I have to have my blood drawn – YIPEE! This is one of the most stressful parts of the day. Then upstairs for my mammogram, it was strange because I had the same tech that I had way back in December when I had my first mammogram at MD Anderson. She remembered me, and let me know what she saw – nothing, except for the titanium clip that they placed in the tumor. Good thing they put a clip in! After this uplifting experience it was time to head to the R.O.C. (Radiology Outpatient Clinic) for my CT Scan. This test was responsible for numerous nightmares in the past month, but in the end was very anti-climatic and not the stuff of nightmares. Thank goodness. I just had to drink the stuff and get irradiated iodine injected into me. The results should be available in a week. Cody and mom decided to leave while I was prepping and getting this test, so I called them to pick me up and back we go to the Mays Clinic for my ultrasound. The ultrasound was fine. My lump is still there, but apparently had flattened out. Same area, just flat. Slightly disturbing, but at least it hadn’t grown. Cody and I finally met with Julia, my research nurse, for the last time. It was a bittersweet meeting. I really loved having her around, helping me navigate the cancer world, but saying goodbye means the end of chemotherapy. It felt good to say goodbye. And I appear to have the exact results that they were looking for – superstar. Dr. Gonzales said that the reason my lump flattened out is that the cells are dead and forming the equivalent of scar tissue. This is great news. I also agreed with her that I would rethink receiving radiation if the pathology report after surgery shows something different than what we expect it to show. Meaning that we expect only 1-3 lymph nodes to be involved, and if we find more than 5 involved I agreed to meet with the radiation oncologist that she really likes. Ok, I can agree to that. I’m still not convinced but if it makes her feel better than I’ll meet with him; but only after we receive the pathology report. I also learned how much I will be going to MD Anderson. I will see Dr. Gonzales every three months for the next two years, then every six months for the next three years, then once every year for life. I will have to go back to MD Anderson every year for life. That is a long time. My next appointment with her is at the end of July. Time to celebrate my completion of chemo and move onto the next phase of my life – surgery and reconstruction.




Waiting to get all my hair cut off before starting chemo.  I donated it to Locks of Love.







Dressed up for my port surgery.








My patchy, falling out hair at the end of January.








Last infusion, number 12, of Taxol and RAD001.







I finished the triathlon...and was not last!



Finished with chemo and moving on.

1 comment:

Mireille said...

So positive & optimistic! You are an inspiration, Rachel. Keep it up.
Rooting for you every day.
Mimi xo