Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase. - MLK, Jr.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Test Results

Waiting for test results to be posted online is torture. I guess I’m lucky that MD Anderson does post results online and that I don’t have to wait for the mail to come; but they do continue to send me a printed schedule every week. I wonder if I can turn that function off…

The test results that I did get back are good. The mammogram showed just the titanium clip that was put in my tumor as a marker back in December 2009, and did not reveal any suspicious lymph nodes. The ultrasound revealed that my tumor has begun to flatten out and form what is essentially scar tissue because the cells are dead. It also did not find any swollen or suspicious lymph nodes. The test that I made me the most nervous was the CT scan. On my original scan in December they found a hemangioma, which they though to be benign. According to the Mayo Clinic a hemangioma is defined as: “Liver hemangioma (he-man-jee-O-muh) is a noncancerous (benign) mass that occurs in the liver.” It is considered to be a type of birth defect; most are diagnosed between the ages of 30-50 and discovered during a test for some other condition. The CT scan last week was to confirm that it was benign. If it had shrunk by responding to chemotherapy, or grown, it would have meant that it was not benign and may have been liver cancer. The mass has not changed and is still considered a benign hemangioma. This is probably one of the few times that a person can be happy to have a birth defect. The CT scan also reveled that my organs are all normal and that the chemotherapy did not cause kidney damage. All appears to be in good working order. Next week I’ll have another blood test and an EKG; this time they need to see if my heart is still healthy enough for surgery. I’m not too worried about this test, in fact I’m more nervous about having to give blood and get stuck by a needle (no port access this time). Oh well. I’ll just take an Ativan before they try and stick me…

Here are more pictures from the party, courtesy of Diane Jackson.




Cody, Zac, Melanie, and Steve.









Rachel, rocking the bald look, talking to Pavla and Jim.









Nancy, Linda, and Shelton enjoying conversation of small town Texas.








Lee and Paula Aaronson, we were thrilled to see you two again.







Melanie and Brady debating going in the water, Nancy and Linda having a laugh.









Cody, Shelton, and Rachel.





Thanks again to everyone that came.  We had a GREAT time!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really pleased things are going right for you... shame I couldn't make the party, please have another ;-) Oh yeah, watch the glasses on the head, thats a tan line that really looks stupid, from one baldy to a temporary club member ;-)